4-H Military Partnerships
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), National Institute of Food and Agriculture, 4-H National Headquarters partners with U.S. Army Child, Youth & School Services, U.S. Air Force Child and Youth Programs, U.S. Navy Child and Youth Programs, and National Guard and Reserve to support 4-H clubs and programming for military connected youth.
The USDA partnership with the Department of Defense, Office of Secretary of Defense, Military Family and Community Policy supports Deployment Support Camps for military connected youth and families.
• 4-H Military Partnership Grants support 4-H clubs and programming for all military connected youth on installations and in communities
• Professional development opportunities are available for military youth programs staff and Extension staff
• Curriculum Development – 4-H 101, 4-H 201, Tech Discovery, and Up For the Challenge: Lifetime Fitness, Healthy Decisions
• Youth and Family camps – day and residential camp Opportunities
Extension 4-H Military Liaisons
The Extension 4-H Military Liaison is a Land Grant University Extension professional who serves as a link between the State Cooperative Extension System, Military Service Branches in the state, and 4-H National Headquarters. Liaisons coordinate, network, and facilitate programs and resources working with partners at the university, military partners, and partners across their states in support of programming for military connected children, youth, and families.
• Mission Readiness—With their children in quality programs, Military personnel can focus on their mission
• Transition—Military youth can find 4-H in every county/parish in the U.S. and on overseas installations
• 4-H Study of Positive Youth Development—Research shows 4-H youth excel beyond their peers: 4-H youth are more likely to be civically active, make contributions to their communities, participate in science programs during out-of-school time, and make healthier choices. (Tufts University, 2012)
• Use of Public Resources—tax dollars are used wisely for positive youth development
For more information about 4-H Military Partnerships and to identify go to: www.4-hmilitarypartnerships.org
Are you a educator that is looking for useful information on how to best support your military youth? Utah OMK has excellent SCHOOL RESOURCES for Educators! This page is full of great information such as, fostering resilience, the impact of the deployment cycle on youth and even has tips and tricks for teachers and administrators that will help you in the classroom.
Looking for something fun, free and educational for your military child to participate in? We have lots of great opportunities for you to check out! OMK events are held year round and are designed to help youth explore the world through fun hands on activities that teach life skills, promote resiliency and support military youth in the communities where they live. To register for an OMK camp or event or to see what's coming up, visit our CAMPS AND CLASSES LINK where activities are added all the time!
Are you a state team member, military unit, FRSA or FRG that would like to request support from OMK at one of your upcoming events? If so, please let us know how we can help by filling out the OMK Event Support Request Form.
For more on OMK in Utah, check out the
Military 4-H Clubs
In the military culture, the word purple, indicates all branches of the service – Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marine. Military 4-H and OMK reflect this effort through strong collaboration of youth, adults, schools, civic, military, and private organizations.
In local communities and worldwide, we all work together in providing a support network for Military Kids - the everyday heroes in our own backyards.
Operation Military Kids
Office: 435-634-2697 ext# 2247
check out events at
J. Kelly Barnes
4-H Youth Development Specialist
4-H Military Liason
3003 North Thanksgiving Way
Lehi, UT 84043